VolunteerXpress is a platform for everyone to come together, especially the youth, and share their feelings and thoughts, discuss and brainstorm on various topics and issues of mutual interest, be it society, social service, politics, health, environment, any personal experience or anything which they would like to share with everyone.


Come, be a part of it now!!


People interested in writing, may send their request to aid.prachi@gmail.com to receive author invitations.

A Father’s Devotion

>> Monday, December 28, 2009

We at Prayas to date have successfully admitted and processed more than 80 children to a better state of academic schooling than what they had previously. Recently, during one of those admitting sessions, we had compulsorily asked the parents to join their children to the school for the process. Five children along with their mother and father came along even though it was already time for the parents to go off to work.

The admission process began with a few questions about their family and other details. One excited child - Reena, stood there as she was asked questions by the principal, clutching onto and playing with her skirt. She abruptly glanced at the principal, smiling and part confused. Then, I noticed him!

There stood a father, next to his child. From his expressions I noticed that he was in deep contemplation. For somebody that earns 2000-3000Rs a month, a 200Rs outflow of his monthly wage towards his child's education also hits a dent on planning for other key expenses like food bills, travel expenses, etc. In that moment which froze in front of me, Reena's father's eyes wandered unsure & perplexed as he picked up the two notes of 100Rs from a wallet which now started looking empty.

I stood there frozen, looking at him flip through the few hundred rupees in his wallet and I could not help but reminisce some difficult moments in the life of my own family. He reminded me of a time, when my father had to loan and plan hard to pay off the monthly school fees at my school. This was even after having a friendly discount of fees at the school which was run by a good friend of Dad. And now, here is a person who in a shack in a slum, not by his personal choice, but because he could not afford any better. He still had the same flame as my Dad, to be able to have a good education for his child. His biggest investment has been in the education of the three of us - myself and my two younger sisters.

My Dad has worked hard in his simple job as a Bus Driver for 25 years, as it has been now. There was a time when he had to work two jobs in shifts - one from 7AM-5PM and another from 10PM-4PM, 5 days a week to sustain the money flow to keep us afloat. When, he returned home after his first shift I used to see him rushing upon dinner to catch up a nap before he left. An unconditional devotion that I have revered since the moment I realized it and to date more than any God or person.

Reena on the other end picked up her glossy new books and copies. The twinkle in her eyes was similar to what I had felt when I got my new books for the year. An innocent admiration splashed her face with a smile, growing as she flipped through each colorful book. In that moment of nostalgia, I lost track of time and felt a deep growing gratitude to God for all he had given me.

The father-child relationship in our society is one that is seldom talked about, compared to a mother-child or other family relationships. I feel it is somehow presumed that fathers are strong and emotionally in control and their expression of angst at a child's low grades, annoyance at small home issues and other daily concerns, is an expression of establishing control? And thus, somehow not worthy of an emotional expression, but is only more logical, need based expression!

A father’s devotion to his responsibilities is a silent expression of what is most important to him. He is not emotionally expressive other than in anger. But then I feel, we should respect his silent devotion and ‘cut him some slack’. His everyday is a fight with the world and its numerous frustrations to sustain his family with his best efforts.

And so, with this I conclude my little ode to all fathers – relatively good or bad, but still devoted to their responsibilities. I love you Dad!

In Accetance,
Arun Raj

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

This blog is a collection of individual thoughts, not connected or aligned with any organization / institution, and does not necessarily reflect the thoughts of entire group. We leave the responsibility of moderation of the content on this forum to each individual involved and thus open. Do feel free to inform us if you find any content on this blog in anyway biased and / or in-dignifying to any particular group, individual or community or obscene in any way.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP